One of the premier basketball showcases in the Chicago suburbs tips off Saturday when Loyola hosts the eighth annual War on the Shore to benefit the Danny Did Foundation. Once again, Evanston and New Trier join the Ramblers at the event.
“We think it gets better every year,” said Tom Stanton, the organization’s executive director and 1994 Loyola graduate. “We want to always be proactive in getting the word out about epilepsy, and this event helps us do that.”
Tickets are $5 for all three games, and all proceeds to go the Danny Did Foundation and its work to protect children with epilepsy.
“To see Evanston, New Trier and Loyola all stay the course and hold on to this partnership with Danny Did is amazing,” Loyola head coach Tom Livatino said. “We are thriving.”
New Trier vs. St. Viator, 1:30 p.m.
Evanston vs. Geneva, 3 p.m.
Loyola vs. Detroit Jesuit, 4:30 p.m.
- The three North Shore teams all are ranked by the Chicago Tribune. Evanston is No. 8, followed by Loyola at No. 9 and New Trier at No. 14. Evanston is 13th in the Chicago Sun-Times’ poll, while New Trier is 16th.
- Detroit Jesuit and Geneva are making their first appearances at War on the Shore, running the total of schools who are participated to 13, excluding Evanston, Loyola and New Trier. Detroit Jesuit is the first team from out of state, which is something Danny Did Foundation Executive Director Tom Stanton said is important in expanding the organization’s reach. “A key factor for us is to constantly make new connections as well as build on our existing relationships,” he said. “Inevitably, we meet families who need our support.”
- Detroit Jesuit is one of the top programs in Michigan. The Cubs won the Class A state title in 2016, finishing 28-0. Last season, they lost in the state quarterfinals, ending a streak of three consecutive trips to the state semifinals.
- Detroit Jesuit senior Elijah Collins, one of Michigan’s best running backs, has signed to play football for Michigan State.
- Detroit Jesuit President Theodore Munz held the same position at Loyola from 1996-2009. Munz Campus, the school’s athletic facility in Glenview, is named after him.
- The Ramblers beat St. Patrick 69-60 last year at Evanston to improve to 6-1 at War on the Shore.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Connor Barrett, jr., G, Loyola
Spencer Boehm, jr., F, New Trier
Ciaran Brayboy, jr., C, New Trier
Treyvon Calvin, jr., G, St. Viator
Elijah Collins, sr., G, Detroit Jesuit
Kevin Cunningham, sr., G, Loyola
Daniel Friday, jr., G, Detroit Jesuit
Jeremiah Hernandez, jr., F, St. Viator
Jaheim Holden, jr., G, Evanston
Lance Jones, jr. G, Evanston
Andrew Kirkpatrick, sr., G, New Trier
Peter Lambesis, sr., G, St. Viator
Pete Mangan, sr., F, Loyola
Mitch Mascari, jr., G, Geneva
Jack McDonald, jr., G, Geneva
Blake Peters, fr., G, Evanston
Jalen Thomas, jr., F, Detroit Jesuit
Zach Winston, jr., G, Detroit Jesuit